Friday, February 10, 2012

Wine Tasting 2/9 Vintage Cellar

Coastal Vines Brut (year not given)- This was a sparkling wine from California.
Vintage Cellar reviews: Coastal Vines Sparkling Wine is a light colored wine with aromas of apple and citrus. On the palate there are flavors of melon and pear. The finish is crisp and clean.   Pair with cheeses, like brie, for appetizers; grilled garlic shrimp over a bed of pasta; or with a light white cake for dessert.
My description: I could not really detect any real pungent smells.  I got a sense of fruit from the smell that was reinforced when I first tasted this wine.  When I tasted the wine I could taste apples.  This wine was rather crisp and light.

Lazzaro Chardonnay (2010)- This Chardonnay comes from the Mendoza region of Argentina.
Vintage Cellar reviews: Opens with mellow peach and melon aromas and some oak. The
palate is round, creamy and full. Tastes of spiced, dried apple with a stalky, pithy accent.
My description: I got strong citrus smells from this wine.  The peach elements that the Vintage Cellar review highlighted really came across in the smell of the wine.  This wine did have a lingering after taste, but the initial taste was really fruity and those peach elements were prevalent.
Tres Ojos Garnacha Tempranillo Rose (2010)- This is a 50/50 blend of Tempranillo and Garacha grapes coming out of the Calatayud region of Spain.
Vintage Cellar reviews: A 50-50 blend of Tempranillo and Garacha, this medium rosecolored rosado boasts a spicy red cherry/plum nose with a soft lush attack of red berry fruit flavors and a crisp dry finish. Simple and refreshing and a natural for tapas. 
My description: This wine had a very off putting smell.  It smelled kind of burnt and smokey.  Not necessarily something I would attract me to taste this wine.  However, the taste was significantly better than the smell.  It was sweet, but still dry.  There was also a light fizz from the rose, that was enjoyable.
Into Zin Zinfandel (2008)- This is a 100% Zinfandel from Lodi, California.
Vintage Cellar reviews: Spicy, jammy, ripe round plum with juicy soft finish. Goes well with marsala chicken, peppered steak or broiled lamb shank.
My description: This was my favorite wine of the tasting.  I loved the familiar caramel smell of the wine.  While it was kind of a heavy scent, it was very inviting.  The taste of the wine was even better.  This zinfandel was very smooth and had hints of fruit.  I could still get some of the caramel in the taste, but the dominant taste was of dark fruits.
Legaris Crianza (2003)- This wine made from Tempranillo grapes is from Ribera del Duero, Spain.
Vintage Cellar reviews: 90 Points, Wine Spectator.  A silky texture carries plum, tobacco, coffee and mineral flavors over ripe tannins in this balanced red. Berry and vanilla notes linger on the finish. Drink now through 2013.
My description: This wine had an overpowering coffee smell.  While I like the smell of coffee, this was too much.  The wine did not taste as much as coffee as the smell would have made me think.  There was more of a burnt, smokey taste to this wine.  However, the wine was smooth and did not leave a strong taste lingering, which was nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment